What is Steam Guard?
Steam Guard is an additional level of security that can be applied to your Steam account. The first level of security on your account is your login credentials: your Steam account name and password. With Steam Guard, a second level of security is applied to your account, making it harder for your Steam account to fall into the wrong hands.
When Steam Guard is enabled on your account, when you login to your Steam account from an unrecognized device you'll need to provide a special access code to verify it's your account. Depending on your Steam Guard settings, you'll either receive an email with the special code or you'll get it from the Steam Mobile app on your smartphone.
What is the Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator?
The Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator is a feature of the Steam Mobile App that provides an additional level of security to your Steam account. The authenticator generates a code that you need to enter every time that you log on to your Steam account. The code refresh every 30 seconds, can be used only once, and is unguessable.
How to set up a Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator?
1. Once you've installed the app and signed in with your Steam account credentials, tap the menu icon at the top left to expose the app's main menu. Select "Steam Guard" from the top of the menu.
2. From here you can select "Add Authenticator" to setup your authenticator, or "Help" to learn more.
3. Enter your phone number and add the international prefix from the drop down. Steam will send a confirmation code to your phone.
4. Enter the SMS code that sent to your phone. If you didn't receive the text, you may resend it using the link at the bottom of the screen.
Note: Depending on your carrier, messages can be temporarily delayed. If you don't receive the text after a few hours, please contact Steam Support for additional assistance.
5. When the code is successfully entered, Steam will present you with a Recovery code. Write down the code and store it in a safe place. Do not skip this step.
6. When the mobile authenticator is successfully enabled, you'll be presented with a unique Steam Guard code that will periodically refresh. When you log in to Steam you'll be asked to enter the code.
How do I log in using the authenticator?
If your account has the authenticator enabled, you will be asked to enter your current code after you've entered your account name and password.
- Open the Steam Mobile App. If you are logged in on your phone, go to the Steam Guard menu (the top-most menu selection) to see the current code. If you aren't logged in to Steam on your phone, your current code is displayed on the bottom part of the login page.
- Enter the current code when you are asked to. Don't worry if the code on your phone turns red and changed, you still have a little bit of time left to enter the old code.
You can't use a code more than once, and you can't use old codes. So if you just used a code, you should wait for the code to change before using another.
Where is my mobile authenticator code?
The Steam Mobile App provides the current authenticator code for your account.
- Open the Steam Mobile App.
- If you're not logged in, you will see your current code on the bottom part of login page.
- If you're logged in, go to the Steam Guard menu, where your current code will be shown.
How do I remove Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator?
You can remove two factor authentication from your account by opening the Steam Mobile App, navigating to the Steam Guard menu, and selecting "Remove Authenticator". This will bring you to a confirmation window, where you can confirm your choice by selecting "Remove Authenticator" again.
Why are my items on hold?
Any trades or Market listings created before a Mobile Authenticator is added, or during the first 7 days after it is added, will be held for 15 days. Trades or Market listings created more than 7 days after a Mobile Authenticator is added will not be held by Steam. Adding a Mobile Authenticator will not reduce the length of existing item holds.